Mortred the Phantom Assassin is a melee agility Hero fitting the role of hard carry. Mortred is best-known, and infamous for, her ability to inflict staggering damage with single strikes. Her abilities synergise supremely well with each other, rendering her an extremely formidable foe once she has acquired the items she requires. She is a very farm-dependent melee Hero, but she farms creeps with much more ease than many of her fellow carries, using her Stifling Dagger for last hitting. Besides eliminating the weakness most melee Heroes have in their farming, it also saves her from expending gold on important melee carry items like Quelling Blade. Her second ability, Phantom Strike, acts as both her escape and initiate, while Blur gives her an edge against other Heroes that depend on their physical attacks by evading them; giving her partial damage immunity to many carries. Her ultimate however is what connects Mortred with four-digit integers and what gives her a place amongst the very best support killers in the late game since they usually fall instantly from the divine strike her ultimate provides.
- A Salve and Tangoes provide early regen to stay in lane and continue farming
- Iron Branches give very cost-effective stats and build into a Magic Wand
- The Stout Shield helps reduce harass damage taken from enemy heroes
- Boots of Speed are crucial for every hero, to chase or escape from enemies
- Upgrading your Stout Shield into a Poor Man's Shield guarantees it will block damage from enemy heroes and additionally provides some agility
- The Magic Wand gives you burst HP/Mana healing based on the number of abilities your enemies use, as well as compressing the Iron Branches to free space in your inventory
- A Perseverance is needed for your Battle Fury, and helps your survivability with increased regeneration
- Phase Boots give Phantom Assassin the most base damage of any boots, synergizing well with her Ultimate, as well as an active ability for increased movement speed and the ability to pass through units, allowing her easier chase to get in range for Phantom Strike.
- Battle Fury heaps on plenty of raw damage, extra regen, and with the cleave, your Coup de Grace hits will strike everyone around the target for large amounts of damage. In addition, it will help you farm your other items much faster.
- A Black King Bar gives you much needed magic immunity, allowing you to ignore most nukes, stuns, slows, and disables, giving you more time to cut down the enemy heroes.
- Satanic, combined with your huge damage potential, gives you tons of survivability. A crit for an even 1000 damage will heal you for 250, and for 2000 if you use Satanic's active effect.
- Abyssal Blade gives you a chance to stun opponents on attack, as well as an active stun that bypasses an opponent's Black King Bar, and the most raw damage of any item in the game except a Divine Rapier
- Vladmir's Offering grants you an aura that increases damage, armor, and mana regeneration, as well as giving you a decent lifesteal aura, allowing you to use another Unique Attack Modifier like a Desolator
- Monkey King Bar gives you extra damage, extra attack speed, and true strike, letting you ignore enemy heroes' evasion chances, as well as a chance to ministun on attacks
- Assault Cuirass greatly increases your defenses, while boosting your attack speed for more chances to critical hit, and lowering enemies' armor, increasing your regular attacks' damage.