Lanaya the Templar Assassin is a short-ranged Agility hero capable of dealing huge bursts of Physical damage to swathes of enemies with expert positioning and timing. Unlike most physical damage dealers, Lanaya reaches her damage potential quite early and then scales up from that point with carry items, letting her gank with impunity throughout the mid-game, and her range changes from a melee hero to a ranged hero with short reach as she levels Psi Blades.
Her Psionic Traps provide map control and the ability to chase down fleeing heroes from up to 2000 range, and Refraction and Meld lets you shrug off high-damage nukes and disjoint projectiles. With a Blink Dagger, Lanaya can quickly materialize in the enemy team's weakest flank and shred several heroes at once with her Meld and Psi Blades.
Psionic Trap ability
- The starting Tangos give Lanaya health regeneration allowing her to stay in the lane, while the Iron Branches give her extra damage and health.
- Boots of Speed is a vital item for every hero in Dota 2 in order to escape and chase when each is called for.
- As an aggressive midlaning hero, a Bottle is important for saving runes and sustaining her heath and mana while she roams the map to find kills.
- A Blink Dagger is essential to reach Lanaya's maximum potential. Although she is technically ranged, her base range (and the range of Meld) is similar to that of a melee hero. A Blink Dagger allows her to jump on top of enemies and immediately Meld+attack. It also lets her quickly get to nearby enemies caught by Psionic Traps and lets her position her Psi Blades in a fight to deal maximum spill damage.
- Desolator gives Lanaya a lot of damage and an orb effect that decreases the opponent's armor. With it and a level four Meld, you will be deducting 15 armor directly, not counting additional effects like the aura from Assault Cuirass.
- After the aggressive core items, you will want to focus on some defensive items. BKB will give Lanaya magic immunity, helping her avoid painful stuns and nukes. Assault Cuirass gives her 15 armor, a lot of attack speed, and an aura that helps out allies and stacks even more armor reduction on enemies. A Heart will give her much needed health.
- The Butterfly is a powerful agility weapon. Its evasion will conserve Refraction charges, and its damage output is terrific.